Film, TV and the Arts

Film, TV and the Arts

Monday 15 August 2011

Films on TV: Let the Right One In


I’ve just seen that Let the Right One In is on Film 4 tonight. The Swedish vampire film was hugely popular amongst dedicated fans upon its release and remains well thought of.

About as far from Twilight as you’d wish a vampire flick to be, the film focuses on a child who is bullied and pretty miserable who gets a new neighbour: a strange, pale girl who gives him new confidence. 
 
Though I cannot say that I loved it, it has stayed with me and is effective upon a first viewing. It’s an engaging and often striking portrayal of the awkwardness of childhood and a beautiful but complicated friendship between two children.

Directed by Tomas Alfredson, whose adaptation of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is out next month and receiving a lot of buzz, it is a mature film which does have some good vampire thrills chucked in. There is one moment in a hospital room which still brings a smile to my face upon every recollection.
 
I highly recommend it for a good Monday night in.

Let the Right One In is on Film 4 tonight at 9pm

No comments:

Post a Comment